3.21.2010

I love someone with an extra chromosome

Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

I had some grand plans to commemorate this day - but they never really came together. One of those plans was to write Grant's birth story down - the complete, raw version in it's entirety. I haven't done that yet, though I'm not worried. If I live to be 105, I'll still vividly retain the details and feelings of that day. Thankfully, I did write down a lot of my feelings at the time he was born. During those days when all I could do was sit next to his crib and imagine what life at home would be like, I wrote to express my feelings for him and to make sense of what was happening. It was a journal meant for Grant and addressed to him, so certain parts of his story are a tad glossed over and presented in a more upbeat way, even if that wasn't what I was feeling at the time.

But I'll write the entire birth story someday.

Last year, I did week long series of posts dedicated to Down syndrome - factual information and my perspectives. Feel free to do a little clicking if you missed them or want a little reminder.






Some of the information is a bit outdated in relation to Grant's current experiences in education and his abilities, but still informative nonetheless.

What can I say that I haven't already said a 100 times? That extra chromosome - though it has brought extra challenges - has brought infinitely more extra happiness, extra pride, extra life lessons learned, extra laughter, extra cheering, extra gratitude, and extra closeness to one another.


It's hard to accurately describe, but I just know that my whole life and the sum of my experiences before Grant were all a preparation to be his mother. I can see that now. He'll never know how thankful I am for him and how his birth changed me forever in a way I never anticipated, but realize was totally meant to happen.

Grant may have to come to us to teach us, but I no longer think it's that singular. God gave us Grant because He truly just wanted to bless us.
We won the lottery.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh tears! Man, I just got ready for church too. Note to self, don't read Katy's posts after putting on makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grant is so lucky to have such an amazing mom... And I feel SO fortunate that I have had the opportunity to meet that little man and get to be a part of his life through your writing.

    Thanks Katy <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way---I love the Welcome To Holland piece you posted. And when you get around to writing Grant's birth story I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your blog for an entire year. Crazy town! I loved that series you did, thanks for taking the time to teach the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete