What is Down syndrome?
*We all have 23 pairs of chromosomes (genetic material) - we got 23 from our mom & 23 from our dad. That's 46 altogether and they make up every cell in our body and determine the unique arrangement of our cells. This arrangement determines our own unique look, how our body functions, and even our unique cognitive abilities.
*For those with Down syndrome, there is an extra chromosome (genetic material) on the 21st pair. Instead of 46 chromosomes, there are 47 altogether. Here's a karyotype of someone with Down syndrome that shows all 23 pairs of chromosomes lined up together (the 23rd being the one that determines gender):
Notice how all the pairs have two lines of chromosome material. For you and I, each numbered section of DNA would have only two chromosomes. But the karyotype above is from someone with Down syndrome - look at the 21st pair at the bottom: there are three. The presence of this 3rd chromosome on this pair is proof of Trisomy 21. Every newborn suspected to have DS has a karyotype done like this (even Grant!). When there is an extra chromosome on a different pair, it's a different type of syndrome - but as I mentioned before, over 95% of people with DS have Trisomy 21. It's the most common and the most survivable chromosomal disorder. When I talk about Down syndrome, I'm pretty much only referring to Trisomy 21 and I may use these terms interchangeably.
Why is it called Down syndrome?
It is named for an English physician, John Langdon Down, who was one of the first to publish an accurate description of a person with Down syndrome in the late 1800's. Others had recognized the characteristics, but he was the first to describe the condition as it's own separate entity.
More Stuff:
*Down syndrome is an all-or-nothing thing. A person doesn't have a 'mild form' or 'extreme degree' of DS; they either have it or they don't. The extra chromosome does present itself in way unique to the individual, but you either have that extra chromosome or you don't. In some, the physical characteristics are more obvious than others and mental abilities will vary. Also, there is no connection between the number of Down syndrome features person has (obvious or not) and their mental abilities.
*Down syndrome occurs in roughly 1 out of 800 pregnancies. It occurs across all ethnic and socio-economic groups.
*Maternal age does influence the chances of having a baby with DS (age 35 being that "magic" number that doctors used to throw around) - but - there is no magic spell that happens when you turn 35 and - poof - you'll all of sudden more likely. The chances exist during your twenties, increase a bit more during your thirties, and then there is quite a jump in the likelihood past 40. Though probability increases with the mother's age, the majority of babies with DS are born to mothers under 35 - I was 23 years old. (Basically, this isn't something that occurs only to 'older' women, though it may appear that way in the numbers because fewer total babies are born to women over 35 compared to the under 35 crowd - clear as mud?:)
*You may wonder then why there aren't more people you see walking around with DS if it doesn't occur as rarely as you thought...that's because well over 90% of parents that discover Down syndrome in-utero terminate the pregnancy (partly due to earlier testing and recommended testing now for all women regardless of age). More of my "thoughts" on that later.
*Lastly, the presence of that extra chromosome occurs at conception. You cannot cause Down syndrome - neither can you prevent it. Scientifically speaking, it's a random event. (We once spoke with a girl that was pregnant and also had a seizure disorder. She said she was worried about seizures during pregnancy because her doctor said it could cause Down syndrome...um, no.) Let me repeat it again...there is no way to cause Down syndrome - it is no one's "fault". It's just the way the chromosomes split and it happens the first second after sperm meets egg - the baby already has Down syndrome before the mother even knows she's pregnant. Along the same lines, Down syndrome is not something that can be cured or 'grown out of' - having that extra chromosome is something that cannot be changed - but the effects of that extra chromosome are what vary from person to person.
Though you can get some solace in knowing that neither mother nor father did anything 'wrong', being a person of faith is very helpful at times like this. Though I know scientifically it was completely random, I also know it wasn't a punishment from God (the God I believe in would not use children as punishment anyway). While the news was very shocking and devastating at first (to say the least), I know in my heart that this is how it was meant to be. Instead of continuing to wonder "why did this happen to us?" we learned very quickly that we were lucky - lucky to be entrusted with such a special spirit and that he was given to us as a blessing. We now take it as a huge compliment from God! Though the medical community would call it random - or a fluke maybe - I know God doesn't make mistakes. He sent us Grant for a reason. The science of it all may lend some answers, but the spiritual part of it lends the peace, understanding, and even appreciation of it all.
Bravo, we made it through Day 1! *Next up: Physical Features








Thank you for sharing Katy. Your comment about the terminated pregnancies reminded me of a comment from a friend in England; she said you never see a child with Down Syndrome there anymore. I can't help thinking how sad that is as I consider the several families I have known with a child with this syndrome--the challenges are very real, but so is the love and joy the child brings.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to dwell on the termination thing as well, but it's just so sad. They just don't realize how much they are missing out on. Sad that we've come to believe we can have "perfect" children if they just don't act or think differently than others.
ReplyDeleteMy cousin actually has Downs Syndrome, and I spent a lot of time with her growing up so I am rather familiar with the disease. She was always so full of love and excitement about everything (and she had the best collection of Disney movies anyone has ever seen!)
I think it's amazing that you're sharing your experience with Grant in this wonderful way! Down Syndrome is something I also only have a limited understanding of, and it's really great of you to raise awareness like this...Thanks! Looking forward to the rest of the posts!
ReplyDeleteWhat a true blessing you are Dear Granty - to all of us! And Katy, what a true blessing you and Landon are to Grant. :)
ReplyDeleteI had NO clue that up to 90% of DS pregnancies were terminated. I read that part to Ben and we both were just in shock... and yet not. In our world and culture, it's so depressing to see the way life is treated.
I'm loving your posts Katy!! Keep up the good work!
You are all so sweet - and though I will write about more about my opinions on the terminating thing- it's a good thing it's confined to a paragraph or so. You don't want to get me started in person about it (or any abortions)- I won't shut up.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the nice comments!
Well said, Katy. I have several other friends with Downs children, so this explanation is very interesting and helpful to me. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
ReplyDeleteI just read the series and enjoyed it. You covered a lot of important material.
ReplyDeleteI am in my final year for my degree in neuropsychology and I've focused my research on pediatrics and development. It is amazing to me how people only associate mental retardation (MR as we call it) with Downs. Children with fetal alcohol syndrome, autism spectrum disorder, prader willi, williams, and a hundred other syndromes have incredible intellectual defects that can often exceed those seen in Downs. Further, the treatments for epilepsy and pediatric cancer in addition to the effects of concussions and brain injuries (due to accidents or falls, etc.) also produce developmental delays and intellectual deficiencies equal or great to those seen in Downs.
Downs is unique in that it can be tested for in utero - and I had no idea it was terminate at such high rates... And the other things aren't so easy to test for or predict.
Though I am 110% pro-choice, my husband and I talk a lot about our false sense of control. An in utero diagnosis of Downs may lead us to think we know what we are getting into - but we really know no more than if we were told we were having a baby with 46 chromosomes. Our healthy baby may one day come home at 16, knocked-up by her trashy boyfriend - I'm watching too much 16 and pregnant - and those young girls make a baby with downs seem like a cake walk - send me to Holland!). Our children are going to provide us with joy and stress - and we just can't predict the ways in which that stress and joy will come.
Thanks again for the great posts.