* * *
(9/07)
As hopefully anyone has seen that has met Grant or any other person with DS, these individuals have much to offer and teach us. Their potential is more limited by the restraints the rest of us put on them then by their actual abilities. Despite the described differences, children with Down syndrome are way more like other children than unlike them.
I think I can speak for other parents of special-needs kids when I say that:
As with any child, children with Down syndrome can grow and succeed when given the right tools and support.
As with any child, they need to feel loved and accepted by those around them. Parents hope and pray they have good friends.
As with any child, a mixture of high, yet realistic, expectations are necessary for fulfilling their potential.
As with any child, they want to have fun and play. They want to get into things and explore the world around them - even if that means a little mischief!
As with any child, they have their own unique talents and interests - music, art, sports - you name it.
As with any child, they are unique in how they see and interact with the world. There is a wide range of emotions and personalities.
As with any child, the milestones achieved should be cause for great celebration - no matter how long they take to get there.
As with any child, they go through the normal stages of childhood and adulthood - asserting independence and desiring more freedom.
As with any child, parents will go through periods of helplessness and unanswered questions yet keep plugging away and loving their child.
As with any child, you want people to see them for their special, individual personality and what they contribute - not for the generalized label that's been affixed to them.
And, as with any child, you hope your child is always treated with love and dignity.
As you can see, children with Down syndrome and their families are not so different from other families. Though it's not good to over-generalize people with Down syndrome because they do exhibit their own unique personality and emotions (they aren't happy all the time - just like you and I experience - despite what is generalized), those with Down syndrome are frequently very happy, exuberant, and friendly people. They can bring so much joy and laughter to their families and others. I think it's no coincidence that siblings of those with any disability tend to grow up to be more compassionate and understanding people, and even gain a maturity about life that their peers often do not.
* * *
So, with all this in mind, here's a tiny list of requests - from me and any other person or parent that deals with any difference/ disability:
*Please use 'people-first' language: say 'a person with Down syndrome' rather than a 'Down syndrome person' or 'Down syndrome baby'. The same could be said of any person with any significant issue or health concern - put the person first. Along the same lines, saying 'a Downs person' or just 'Downs' is emphasizing just a part of who they are above the fact that they are a person. Also, Down syndrome is a condition or syndrome, not a disease.
*Using the word 'retarded' for anything you don't like or calling someone a 'retard' is offensive. Retarded actually means "slower" - not stupid or ridiculous. Find another word to tease your friend or to express something unpleasant. 'Short bus' or 'riding the short bus' is also very offensive in any way that it is used. Come on, you're really comparing someone's silly or idiotic actions to little children that - through no fault of their own -ride a different kind of bus because of their unique needs? Or even worse is when someone even hints that they are making fun of those very children. Even before Grant was born, it made my skin crawl to hear it. (Oh, and President Obama, bringing up the Special Olympics when discussing/comparing your inept bowling is highly disrespectful. I'm very glad you apologized, but it reveals a certain level of your character and sensitivity to those with special needs to say that in the first place.)
*Always talk to those with any disability in a fun, normal way. Though my brother Larry couldn't respond back to me in traditional ways, I always treated him and talked to him like he was....well...my brother. I lovingly teased him, didn't use baby words, and tried my best to act as if his 'abnormalities' were completely normal. When all else fails, just treat all others in normal, dignified way - they way you would want to be treated if the situation were reversed.
Please know that I'm not hyper-sensitive or consider myself the politically-correct police AND I realize that, unless a bunch of 14-year-old boys read this blog, pretty much all of the people that read this aren't the type to say offensive things about the disabled anyway. But it's nice to put this all out there into the universe - maybe those that read this can educate others.
Also, as I mentioned on Day 1, I'm open to any questions people have. I want people to know more about Grant and Down syndrome if they care to know. I'm pretty much an open book so never hesitate if you wonder about something.








Wow Katy this is amazing thank you for sharing all this!Grant is so lucky to have you for his mommy!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the wonderful education! I have been fortunate to have some very special folks in my life who just so happen to have DS. We all have an anomaly of one kind or another, some just show theirs much more than others!
ReplyDeleteYou know how some people with a dirty mouth say they can't stop swearing because they're in the habit? Sadly, mis-using the term retarded is like that for me. I wish I had objected to it more at a younger age, and I try not to use it now, but when I'm with people I knew growing up it gets really hard. Your post was a good reminder to keep trying to quit the habit for good!
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing these, I really enjoyed reading them.
You know, I'd be lying if I said I never said something was 'retarded' or used that term before. I won't go crazy on someone that says it around me, especially if they aren't actually calling someone 'a retard' and saying it very meanly (especially to someone who is mentally challenged).
ReplyDeleteThe whole 'short bus' thing is another story...that is much more insensitive and cruel to me for some reason. But most people I associate with I don't have to worry about ever correcting (I don't have a lot of immature, junior high boys as friends!).
Katy, thank you for sharing. You know as well as the rest of us that Heavenly Father chooses special parents for these choice spirits! I just finished reading a book that focuses much on the contoversy you mentioned about ending a life in utero for the "child's benefit." It brought up the discussion that parents of prodigy or genius children suffer trials through the childs life (albeit different types), but they would never think of terminating. And if you terminate a pregnancy because you deam life with DS or whatever it may be to be a life not worth living, will they start progressing genetic testing and decide to abort babies who will be ugly or have academic challenges. Where do you draw the line and who's place is it to decide that a life is worth living?! As you can tell, your post hit a chord, along with recent reading. I applaud you--you are a tremendous woman. Grant is blessed to have you!
ReplyDeleteSuch a great and inspiring post!
ReplyDelete