Like most people living in complete denial, she doesn't pack nor does she barely want to discuss leaving her beautiful, temperate weather, friend-filled corner of the Los Angeles area. But since she had the complete misfortune of marrying a super intelligent, hard-working Air Force man that got himself into a great Master's degree program in Ohio, she had no choice but to follow him. Oh, woe is me...I mean, her.
Sure, there was adventure awaiting them in Ohio as well. Will she make new friends? Will she find adequate shopping? Will they survive their first real winter or will their family read about the discovering of their frozen bodies in the news?...and more importantly...will they get by knowing their town doesn't have a Costco?
On August 1st, the day arrived to say adios to Los Angeles. Katy, in her characteristic way of saying good-bye to inanimate objects and/or things that can't respond back, yelled out the minivan window "Good-bye ocean view!" "Good-bye 405 freeway - I learned to navigate your perils quite well!" "Goodbye Disneyland - I shall miss you most!" and "Good-bye random graffiti that was oddly comforting sometimes!"
The journey of this family of four from CA to OH involved several stops along the way: Las Vegas, NV; Salt Lake City, UT; Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, and Illinois until they reached their final destination: Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio.
not too shabby
And to sum up the last 3 1/2 months there has been:
*rain
*missing CA and CA friends
*realizing the above makes one seek comfort in food
*more rain
*Grant becoming a kindergartner
*finding our way around
*unpacking & decorating
*realizing the above is easier and quicker because of the complete lack of traffic
*starting to get out there and make some friends
*and did I mention rain yet?
So because of the aforementioned activities, the will-she-or-won't-she update her blog has taken place. I'm sure it's been riveting - an emotional roller coaster. I'm sure all 5 of the people that read this blog have been on the edge of their seats for...minutes.
And what's a story without pictures? Not a good one - at least that's what Grant & Kyle would say.
![]() |
| One of the last Disney visits with friends - can you see in Grant's face that was pretty much the hottest day of the summer? |
| this part is always the worst - you think it will never end! |
| Me and my Beth - had to get a load of that view one more time |
![]() |
| en route - - had to spend the day at our college, Brigham Young University, to relive those pre-children days |
![]() |
| Grant's first sentence - said all. by. himself. "I...love...you" It was so cute it killed us. |
| First Day of Kindergarten |
| The school is very close to our home - just a few minutes walk, though Grant qualifies for bus service so we send him on the bus. I hear in winter I'll be extremely grateful for it! |
| I've been very impressed with the school, the staff, and his teacher - she is wonderful! Loves Grant & the other kids so very much and is a great resource for helping us during this first year! |
| Rain - typical. And a cute little boy. Let's just focus on the cute little boy. |












so glad your back blogging friend... oh how i've missed you:)
ReplyDelete