11.21.2011

a last minute trip

When it comes to cross-country travel, I plan ahead. Actually, I don't have much experience planning cross-country adventures because I rarely venture so far from home.  But when I got the opportunity a few weeks ago to travel out to California and go the Scrappin' Shack with some good friends, I threw all good travel sense out the window and booked my tickets.


I've posted about Scrappin' Shack before.  It's only the most blissful four days one can spend up in the mountains - working on crafts, eating, sleeping in, and chatting to our hearts content.  When I went last May and thought that trip would be my last, my heart hurt. It's just so heavenly!  Eight women were booked to go this fall (the max that there is adequate room for), then with moving out here and not knowing Landon's schedule, I resigned myself to the idea that I just couldn't make it this time.  THEN, my friend Kelly slyly informed me that someone had to back out - and before I knew it, I was making plans to fly out to LA.

The best part of this whole plan - other than getting to fly alone for the first time in 5 years and, you know, all the awesome stuff mentioned above - was that Kelly and I conspired to surprise our friend Beth with my arrival! I love a good surprise!! She contacted everyone but Beth to inform them of my attendance and to not leak the news before our Thursday drive up to the cabin.

I arrived in LA Wednesday night. Kelly picked me up and let me stay with her. We giggled like school girls as we imagined the look on Beth's face!  First thing in the morning we loaded up the car, picked up one other friend, and drove down to Beth's house.  We were hoping she'd be inside her home, but sure enough she was outside loading her own vehicle so I dove down under the window so she wouldn't see me too soon. Then as she walked up to Kelly's driver side window, I couldn't stay in any longer and jumped out of the car.




I was expecting a shriek and a hug - instead she screamed and took off running. Seeing her turn around with tears in her eyes brought on the waterworks for me as well! I've missed Los Angeles and these girls so much - all I needed was a reason to cry myself! That moment right there was worth coming out to CA for!



The rest was typical Scrappin' Shack: drove the couple of hours up to Lake Arrowhead, went out to eat & shopped for the one meal we each prepare, arrive at the house, unpack, and jump up and down with excitement that we were there.  I had a marvelous time - but I expected no less.  I worked on my Project Life album and a little bit of Grant's school album. Then there was the Dance Party in the living room on Friday night. I'm actually glad I don't have pictures of that in an attempt to preserve my own self-esteem, but good gracious was it fun.






Me + my girls + the Scrappin' Shack = eternal, undying love

No comments:

Post a Comment