12.15.2010

Air Force Ball

In non-vacation related November news, Kyle has taken up coloring:




Grant got some new hi-top converse shoes (he kept taking off his shoes on the bus and these are virtually impossible to remove - plus, he's darn cool in them):


and Grant made this schnazzy turkey hat in school for Thanksgiving:


 The week I returned from the cruise, Landon was serving as the general's traveling assistant - that means that wherever the general went off-base that week, Landon accompanied him and assists with a variety of things. That week it included business in Washington, and at the end of the week, a sort of Air Force convention for Air Force higher-ups at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills. 

The last night of the convention was a fancy, black-tie Air Force Ball.  Just before I left for the cruise, Landon told me that though he would be busy and working the whole convention time, I could not only come and stay at the hotel with him, but that we would be attending the ball!  Wahoo - a chance to dress up!


About five minutes there I realized this was pretty much the fanciest hotel I'd ever stayed in. Lucky for us, Landon's parents were staying out here in preparation for the whole family coming out for Thanksgiving and could watch G & K for the two nights we stayed here!

 photo from the Beverly Hilton site, but exactly what our room looked like.




Yep, that's TV in the bathroom. I now know how to determine whether or not the hotel I'm in is super fancy - is there my own personal TV as I do my hair.

Even the hallway and door to our room was fancier than my whole house


view of Beverly Hills


I spent a few days shopping the week of this event to find a formal dress - thanks to Joy doing a little altering, some new earrings and bracelet, and a hair appointment I was ready to bring it for the ball. 



You can't see it very well, but there is some gorgeous beading under the bodice and I loved the tiered skirt - I didn't think this color would look good on me, but it turned out great.

Landon in what is called mess dress (the uniform worn for special events) - why is it called that? I'll have to look that up.  


The whole event was fabulous. There was dinner, dancing, some very high up members of the Air Force and government in attendance, and the Buzz Aldrin!


When posing with a long dress, resist the urge to coyly put one foot back. It makes you look like you have one foot.

Can I just say how fun it was to pretend we were rich enough to stay at a place like that for two nights? During the day while Landon was busy, I sipped hot chocolate and read in the lobby.  I would also give myself a tour of the hotel (it's been quite the famous hotel since the 1950's) and we been there one more day, I would have ventured to Rodeo Drive which wasn't too far away.  We've been in LA for 3 1/2 years and I've never ventured to Beverly Hills (not that I could actually buy anything there!).  

An undeserved, second mini trip with Landon - lucky girl.


4 comments:

  1. You guys look great! Your dress is beautiful-- glad you guys had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. katy, we should go to rodeo together sometime! i've gone several times with our out of town visitors. you look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you totally brought it! Love, love, love the look!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did bring it you one footed gorgeous gal! You guys look smashin'!

    ReplyDelete