3.09.2010

ten on tuesday: musical edition 3-9

My thoughts have been of the musical nature lately, so today is a special ten-on-tuesday dedicated to music.

1. I enjoy many different genres now, but growing up it was all about the country music. I knew all the words to "Fancy" (Reba McEntire) and loved anything by George Strait.

2. Thanks to my older brother, I'll always have a soft spot for Aerosmith. Call me crazy, but I love it when Steven Tyler screams!


3. I've sang in many choir productions and even some small groups - trios/duets. However, I've only done an actual solo twice: 1) around 8 when I auditioned for a community theater part and 2) "It's My Party (and I'll Cry if I Want To)" during the oldies ensemble in show choir my junior year.


4. Oh, and no - I didn't get the community theater part. And yes - Murphy's Law applied to my first real solo. During the second performance of "It's My Party", the music went out all of sudden - while I was singing - and it became an impromptu acapella version.

5. I'm mostly an alto singer. In the HS choir, the other altos and I called ourselves The Altoids. We thought we were hilarious.

6. Defying Gravity (from Wicked) is one of the best songs ever.

7 . I've played the piano since eight years old. I hated it so much at times that once I drafted a contract with my mother stating she would have to pay me $100 when I turned 18 if I still didn't like it. Or I'd have to pay her $100 if I wanted to continue...well, I ended up owing her $100. I'm glad she entertained my silly contract notions - I really enjoy the piano now.

8. Perhaps when I'm exercising I should be enjoying nature or pondering deep things, but I absolutely need my iPod to work out. I need me some Kelly Clarkson, The Killers, or Pink to make it through.

9. Thanks to my lovely roommates at EAC, 80's music will always symbolize one of the most fun, memorable times of my life.

10. Everyone needs an anthem. Mine is "So Small" by Carrie Underwood. I have yet to find another song that more perfectly sums up my life experience so far (particularly in relation to Grant's birth) & the attitude of life I'm trying to have. I rarely shed tears over movies or songs, but 'So Small' gets me every. time.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have great taste in musics. I had to laugh when I read your first one because I also grew up listening to country and have a soft spot for "fancy" it'll definately be in my head all day now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Altoids!! I forgot ALL about that! Thanks for the post, I smiled the whole time I was reading, thinking about those good old days...I will never forget the daggers you gave me when I, as 'Judy'walked in with your 'Johnny'! SO fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love aerosmith, too...maybe also because of my older brother. :) by the way, i linked to you on my blog...hope that's okay.

    ReplyDelete