1.08.2010

get Grant in his new bed: check

It's big boy bed time around here and all those under the age of 5 in this house are movin' on up. Except for visitors, the bed has served as a great catch-all for Landon's uniforms for the past year, but no more. Two nights ago, Grant made the move.

Drum roll please....


It went just fine.

We brushed teeth, read a book, then I tucked him under the covers (with his new Mickey Mouse blanket). He was smiling a lot - I could tell he thought it was pretty fun to be somewhere else, but I was afraid the newness would wear off as soon as the light went out. So I stood by the door. And waited. And..nothing. I then went down the stairs victorious and related our new milestone as parents to Landon.


The next morning, he sat on his bed and yelled for us. He hasn't yet figured out that he can easily get out the the bed by himself - I'm sure he'll figure it soon enough. We're first starting him out on the trundle - then onto to the taller bed with the trundle as back-up padding in the night - then he'll go it solo.

Grant did indeed stay in his crib a *bit* longer than most. Being on the smaller side helps and until June there was no one to kick him out of it anyway. I'm also one of those mothers that just doesn't seem to rush into each new stage or milestone. My parenting could use improvement in a couple hundred areas, but one thing I've always been good at is having a sense for when I know Grant is ready to move on to something or start something new. Until I get the feeling, I don't worry or pressure him or compare ourselves to what other kids are doing. So far, it's working out for us.

To sum it all up, what's going on in the Bastow household is this:

CRIB : KYLE :: BED: ____

(the correct answer would be GRANT!)

1 comment: