Grant started riding the bus to school about two weeks ago - I'm just finally getting around to posting pictures of this momentous occasion because 1) Grandma's in town and we've been a little busy and 2) I was an emotional wreck about this bus riding thing for the first week and didn't even take pictures.
He (and I) are doing great with it now. I'm not sure that I would have started him on the bus this soon if not for the new baby (who we are still patiently waiting for...). His school day starts at 8:15 and is only about a 5-10 minute drive away. Since March I've been driving him myself, but in the mornings the parents have to park in an area that technically we aren't allowed to park at, then walk all the way through the front of the school, and back to Grant's classroom. This semi-legal parking area is literally 15 feet from Grant's classroom, but since they don't open the gate that's right there, you have to make the trek all through the school. Which has been fine (heaven knows I need every extra ounce of exercise I can get), but soon I'll have to lug new baby with me. Picking up at 10:30 is no big deal though because they let them out of that gate that is right next to the classroom.
I kept putting off this whole bus thing - finally Landon said we should just try it for a few weeks and see how it goes.
First week: okay for Grant, but Mommy was bawling everyday as the bus drove away. (actually, I followed the bus to school for the first two days, then on the third day I started waving goodbye from the curb) Seriously, it just killed me seeing that little blond curly head driving away, especially if he had his frowny face.
Second week to the present: much better for both of us. Grant goes to the bus driver with no problem, smiles, waves, and blows kisses to me as if it's no problem. I hate relinquishing any control over him growing up. Here's how it all works:
I'm usually carrying his backpack for him up to the bus
He's handed off to his lovely bus driver
Yes, this bus has built in carseat/harness devices which is the ONLY WAY I would have even considered using the bus in the first place
We blow kisses to each other, I tell him to have a good time at school and all that other mushy mom stuff...and now I get this little smile and wave as he drives away
Now that the tears have subsided I'm enjoying the ease of it all. When this baby comes I'm sure I'll be very glad to just have to walk the three of us to the bus outside instead of dressing us all, loading us all up, etc. So there is the new adventure - one I wasn't anticipating for a long time, yet so far we've successfully maneuvered.








Okay first, WAY TO GO KATY! I would still be in tears the second week.
ReplyDeleteAnd second, Granty, you are TOO adorable buddy!
And lastly... Baby Boy Bastow... it's time to arrive!!!!
I literally have tears! That was the cutest post I'ved ever read! What a BIG BOY! I'm SOOOO proud of both of you. I will be right there crying with you when that day comes for Mase:(
ReplyDeleteOh man Katy! I would feel the same way that you do! It's so hard to relinquish control and send them off into the world!! You are so brave!!
ReplyDelete