3.04.2009

WALKING! WALKING! WALKING!

I've been wondering when exactly to officially declare him walking - for about two weeks now he's taken 4 or 5 steps, usually just to get from Landon to me (and vice versa). He will pull to stand using the couch or our legs, then take just a few steps. I guess I was waiting to share the big news until he really started to walk by choice or as his primary way of getting around. Well, it may not be his primary way of getting around just yet, but today he walked the farthest we've ever seen!!

At 2 years 11 months (with 20 days to go until he's 3!) he went from our small couch in the living room to Landon who was sitting on our computer chair in the office - that's about 15 feet and he took more than 30 steps!! Landon held out his arms to him and we expected he take maybe 8 steps...then he just kept on going and we sat dumbfounded as we realized we had actually seen him walk the entire way.
if it looks like Landon doesn't care, he does. He's just sending the video he took on his phone to our family!
After staring at each other in shock for a couple of seconds, Landon picked up Grant and ran around the house cheering. This day has been a long-time coming. We knew Grant would be delayed in almost every milestone, yet the previous milestones weren't delayed quite as much - but walking has been the one much harder to finally grasp. Walking takes so much skill and balance - his physical therapist says that the real key is being able to balance well while standing, shifting the weight, and taking that first step. Once they can do that, there is no holding them back. (These pictures aren't the greatest, but I'm sure I'll be posting more in the future, so don't get too sick of seeing walking pictures!)


I'm just filled with so many emotions right now! Excitement, relief, immense pride, and even a tiny bit of sadness (though it's about 99% excitement and pride). Around 7 months old, when all the other kids were just taking off in their achievement of new skills, I had a hard time. I knew Grant would take a little longer - I expected that - but sometimes it is still hard to see babies half or more than half his age doing things he just can't do yet (another example now - talking). As much as people would say "Oh, you're lucky - he's not getting into everything and making you chase him all the time!" it didn't make me feel better. I wanted to see him learn and grow. I don't think any parent would truly trade their child's healthy development just so they didn't have to clean so much.

Yet - on the flip side - I did get a precious gift. I, like most mothers, hate to see that the months and years are flying by so fast. With Grant, I get to hold on to each stage a little bit longer. Though time flew by, he stayed a tiny baby a bit longer than most. Then he stayed a chubby, happy, sitting baby a little longer, and even these toddler years will get a bit more stretched out. I think God gave me exactly what I needed when He gave me Grant - the chance to learn patience and the ability to really enjoy being a mother. So the tiny bit of sadness comes from seeing him really getting older now.
Okay, enough of that sappy stuff. We are just so happy to announce that Grant is WALKING!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! YAY!! I wish you could see my happy dance, Granty, just for you!!! {And for you too, Katy and Landon!!} Even Noah is cheering for you right now!!

    Way to go Buddy!!! We're so proud of you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY GRANT!!! Great job!!! He looks so proud in those pictures- adorable!

    ReplyDelete