8.11.2008

Boston Day Two


Be forewarned that the following will be filled with details and facts uninteresting to most and extremely boring to some. Proceed with caution.

Today is the first full day and it started out right with a yummy breakfast in the lobby - good stuff too - eggs (better than I make), sausage, biscuits, etc. Then Grant and I drove Landon to his class and found a local grocery store to get some things for the week. When we got back to our room I wanted to call my mom and tell her we'd made it alright, so I pick up the phone and just as she picks up, I see that it's only 9:40 a.m. here --and 6:40 a.m. in AZ!! (Sorry Mom!) I'll have to be more mindful of the time change this week! Grant and I just hung out in our room, had lunch with Landon, then back to the room to nap, back to get Landon, and had dinner here at the hotel. Then off to Downtown!

And would it have killed me to check a weather report before we left L.A.?? It's supposed to be rainy here for most of the week and I didn't bring a single jacket or anything like that. Luckily it has been a 'warm rain' and the rain hasn't impacted anything we have done so far. And it is so green and lush here! I love the densely packed trees and the free growing grass-very beautiful.

I L-O-V-E downtown Boston. The old buildings, little side streets, cobbled pathways - I just love how old this place is. Everything is a close walk to something else and I love hearing the New Englander accent as I pass by the interesting people. It such a nice, well-kept downtown with lots to see - - unfortunately most historical stuff is just open typical business hours, so we'll have to return on the weekend. One great thing we did get to see was the Holocaust Memorial. It was a pathway with 6 tall walk-through glass structures with quotes and numbers representing the 6 million that died under Hitler's regime. As you walked through the six structures (representing the 6 death camps), there was steam-like vapors coming from the ground-I assume to represent the terrible way many died. It was a very moving memorial.
(I bet you wish I had a picture...darn these loaner computers!) I think if I had the huge amount of money it would take to live downtown in a tiny apartment that I would move here-it feels like my kind of place (Landon says that I only say that because I haven't been here in the winter. True.)

Crossing the bridge into downtown...mean looking sky but didn't rain much!

I love these cool buildings with the fire escapes and brick fronts

The Corner Store-Boston style


Grant looks awfully close to the road, but he was safe-thought the picture turned out cool though!

aren't these cobbled, narrow streets cool?!

the Holocaust Memorial

1 comment:

  1. Katy since I've never been to Boston, and I probably never will I am taking the trip via BLOG. So far your trip sounds really interesting, can't wait for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete