7.31.2008

Grateful

I don't mean to get all political here - this is after all a blog mostly dedicated to the recording of fun/everyday events (read: Grant) but I came across this quote by John Stuart Mill that I just had to share in light of all the negative press concerning the war. I'm admittedly grateful that Landon has never had to go overseas to the Middle East, but even more grateful that there are those who are willing so that others aren't forced.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

4 comments:

  1. Great quote--Thanks for sharing it, I love it when I come across a quote which states the sentiments of my heart so much more eloquently than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a poignant quote! I, too, am grateful for those who are willing to risk all that they are and have to defend us, no matter what and no matter for whom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. That is 100% how I feel, but could have never said it like that! Its now my personal signature on my email! I just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friend, I love this quote. I posted in on my blog as soon as I read it. Thanks for posting it.

    -I had so much fun with you this weekend. Thanks for coming

    ReplyDelete