7.29.2008

A 5.4 Earthquake


Just a few hours ago - while I was typing at the computer and Grant was upstairs sleeping - I felt the house shake. At first it was just a small movement; I thought it maybe a large truck had dumped something heavy nearby. Then the walls and floors felt like they were moving and I quickly got up from where I was to stand in a doorway. Of course my next thought was of Grant and figuring out how and when to go get him was the real scary part-luckily the shaking stopped after about 30 seconds. I first called my next door neighbor just to make sure I wasn't crazy and that someone else had felt it - then I tried to get through to Landon, but all the cell phones were busy with everyone else calling their friends and family.

Next my mom called and when she said that aftershocks can be almost as large as the initial quake, I got Grant out of his crib, got dressed, and went outside! Angie and I hung out in her house after awhile to watch the news and now my nerves are back to normal. The experts are saying that this quake was a minor one - I can't imagine a larger one! My mom's family moved from the inland area to Arizona just one month before the big Northridge quake in 1964 - - that quake was a 9.something and lasted 4 minutes! I also can't help but think of those friends of ours that have just moved to California - what a welcome:( This was quite the adventure - one that I hope never happens again!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to California life!
    I remember one earthquake when I was younger where my siblings and I watched the undulating street and thinking that it was so cool! It seemed to last forever, but was a mere 10 seconds or so!
    Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that ya'll are okay - I just found out about it a little while ago! {That's what happens when you move AWAY from California!} Be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember about 14 years ago,the Northridge earthquake hit and we were out of school for about two weeks. I wish I was a little more nervous about earthquakes, but it just seems so common to people who have lived here for forever. I think all of us CALIFORNIA people are just waiting for THE BIG ONE! I hope we are all prepared.

    ReplyDelete