5.29.2008

My brother Larry


I got a call from my mom on Sunday that I've been somewhat expecting for some time now. My older brother Larry has cerebal palsy and has been having more and more health problems. Because of the advanced level of care he now requires, he was moved into a nursing home in recent years and my mom visits and cares for him several times a week. The results of a recent blood test weren't good at all and as a family we decided that we would do no more to prolong Larry's life unneccessarily - basically, it's completely in God's hands now on when He wants to call Larry home. I flew out with Grant on Monday morning to visit Larry and spend a little time with my family.


After a first brief visit with Larry, we and the rest of the family got together Monday night at my brother Sam's house for a yummy BBQ. I've been having so much fun with my new camera, and they eventually got used to me snapping away like crazy. My nephews (and niece!) are just so cute and I'm glad I could be there to capture some of their funny personalities. We tried an all grandchildren picture with my mom (the grandma) with interesting results!
Briggs & GavinBriggs, Gavin, & Brooks
Is that not the cutest picture?

Gavin is just an exact replica of my brother Sam...











sweet Jalyn
Gage, Grandma, & Grant


my beautiful sister Sundae

my other beautiful sister Shelsi


funny brother Sam and beautiful wife Julie


Grandma, the grandkids...and Sam


__________________________________________

On Tuesday, Mom and I went back to visit Larry and I was excited for us to take him outside in his wheelchair. He doesn't get outside enough and it was nice to walk around with him, take even more pictures, and listen to him laugh at me when I stepped in deep puddle of dirty water. Larry has never been able to talk (or walk), but he sure likes to laugh, especially when something silly happened to one of us.







I'm so glad to have come out to spend some time with Larry while he was still alert and happy. Other than missing him, the only other sad feeling I have now is regret - I wish I could have visited more often and spent more time with him the past few years. I'm happy that he'll soon be free from this body that has kept him prisoner for so long - I know he's going to a place where he'll be happy, whole, and with God & our family again. I have many happy memories with him and being his sister has taught me a lot of compassion and service. I'd like to think I'm a better person for knowing him, hopefully I am. What I do know is that times like this cement my testimony in the eternal nature of our souls and the Savior's atonement for each of us. I find a great deal of peace in knowing I'll see Larry again and that God has a plan for each one us, His children. Thanks to a quick plane ride (and my lovely new camera!) I have these pictures I can cherish.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I'm so glad you sent us your blog address so I could see how much all of you have grown up and to watch your children grow too!!!

    I'm so impressed Katy with how beautiful and compassionate you are. You are truly an inspiration.

    Thanks again for allowing me to peek in on your families and to watch as they grow.

    Love to you all, Aunt Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet person your brother is. That last picture of you looking at each other is one you should frame and brought tears to my eyes. I worked for many years as an aid working with special needs students, and was the most amazing job I've ever had. I have had many moments with my students that couldn't talk that you had with you brother taking him through the water and the joy over something that most of us would think nothing about. I had one of my old students pass few months ago and was very hard, but then such a happiness you feel knowing that they are finally out of that prison they've been in for so long. I think your mom is amazing for taking care of him... What a sweet sweet person he is and a blessing that he is apart of your family..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an increditable post friend! I almost cried. I'm so glad you went and your pictures look amazing... you're a natural. Those pictures will be priceless someday. Our prayers are added to yours for you and your family.


    -Are you home from your cruise yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was such a sweet post - thank you for sharing it! I will admit I did cry, but it's that he has such a wonderful family that made this time on earth easier for him. Wonderful happy pictures! We will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really special. Thank you for sharing Katy. Your brother looks like he has such a happy spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma Dottie is the real hero for Larry. She dedicated a big portion of her life for him. He misses her and now waits for her to come and take him to be where she is. Beautiful Katy!

    ReplyDelete