12.14.2011

Overwhelmed


If you hadn't noticed, Lawrence recently just met his $1000 Angel Tree goal - and now has a total of $5000 in his adoption fund.  I'm still overcome with gratitude for all those who've donated since this Angel Tree fundraiser started - overcome with hope that Lawrence can find a family and get out of that institution.

I'd like to say that I just check his account once or twice a day - no, I check it far more than that! As if me checking more often will magically make funds appear - but it's a habit!  Late Monday night I checked Lawrence's account - $450. Grateful for that amount and for all those who contributed.  I just had a Pampered Chef Party fundraiser and was planning to go to Barnes & Noble to do a gift wrap fundraiser, so I knew more funds would be coming in on that end as well. And heaven knows Lawrence would have a bit more money himself, except I can't help to also contribute a bit here and there for the other sweet children that catch my heart.



Then - out of habit - clicked on his page one more time just before heading to bed.  His Angel Tree donation amount: $1156.  I was stunned - speechless (which is difficult for me!). Total of $5000 in the fund.  I don't know who - I don't know how (was it one person or combination of people?) because all funds that go through Paypal to Lawrence are kept from us - we can't find out even if we ask.  But I'm extremely grateful. I can't even describe the happy shock that was! I was pretty positive I wouldn't hit the $1000 goal, but would do the best I could and that would have to be good enough.  To realize that the goal had been reached, and that people this whole time have been moved to give to this precious child, is such a humbling, great feeling.

So thank you - whoever you are out there - whether it's been $1 or $700. I'm grateful for any of it because every bit helps to get him home and out of a place where he can live the life a 5-year-old should.  Please keep praying that someone out there will be moved to welcome him into their home - they are out there!

I need to post some pictures of the boys - especially in some fantastic hats my friend Samantha made for the boys (and if I do a giveaway/auction in the near future or next year, I'm so begging her to make one for it!) - but I had to first tell of the happy news!

I post a lot of favorite articles and things on facebook - but if you're aren't on that, I better share them here as well. Just click on the photo to take you to the article.

"Why Giving Matters" by Arthur C. Brooks/BYU Magazine
Very interesting, motivating article - a great read to remind how much good it does you to give!


What difference does it make?
A post from the family that adopted sweet Katie that I wrote of earlier (the 10 lb 9-year-old) By the way, she's doing great! Getting bigger and happier and healthier every day. So good to see!


Give the gift of giving! Purchase Angel Tree dollars for teachers, neighbors, family, and your kids! What a great stocking stuffer - you purchase them directly from Reece's Rainbow (in any amount of at least $5), they send you an email to print them out, then you give them this gift certificate. The recipient gets to choose which angel that they'd like the donation to go to. I think this is an especially great way for parents to get their children into a giving spirit - giving them the funds and letting them choose who to bless! 

2 comments:

  1. What great work! I've been interested in adoption since visiting an orphanage for terminally ill/severely handicapped children in Haiti. It is a special calling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! SO SO happy for Lawrence and SO SO proud of you for helping to make a difference in his life.

    And I can't WAIT to make a hat {or two!} to help support your next endeavor!

    ReplyDelete