And with blogging I've learned I can also share things that are important to me. And that's why I keep posting about Reece's Rainbow and some little sweetheart that is tugging at my heart. I want to share why I keep mentioning this organization, and it may take away a bit of the "happy", but I want to share where it all started. Then I'll end with a thank you - because it's just nice to end on a happy note, of course.
This story begins just a few months after Grant was born. We had finally brought him home from the hospital and were loving being home with him! Naturally, he became the center of our universe and every second we loved him more and more. Coming from a place of heartbreak at the beginning made this ever-growing feeling of pure joy over this little round face all the more sweet. Seriously, how could we resist this face?
My tiny world view suddenly was blown wide open. It was shock to me that people didn't want their babies. Regardless of the number of chromosomes, those were their babies. Then when Landon showed me this picture my heart quite literally broke in two.
A child. A child like my Grant. Ignored. So pushed aside and thought so little of that it is easier for the caretakers to tie him up so he or she can't cause any problems or extra work. Not just tied up, but tied to the crib. Nothing to occupy their time. No sweet face smiling in or reaching to pick up just because. No books or hugs or all those things that we do with our children that are so natural and normal for us.
I cried as I even tried to imagine Grant's face searching for love and attention and not receiving it. I just can't put into words the feeling of realizing your child could be in that crib going through that awful, sad existence if not for being born here to parents that realize that children are a gift from God, no matter the exact package they come in. It still breaks me in half.
All because this child was born with Down syndrome. All because people there didn't understand the intrinsic value of this child. All because perhaps the parents felt entitled to a 'perfect' child.
I remember telling Landon, if we ever become wealthy, I'm taking home ALL those children! I'm hugging them until they beg me to stop! I had no idea what to do at that moment to help those children that my heart was broken over, but I told myself to keep a look-out for some way to help.
Then last Christmas, I came upon this blog. The writer talked of Cliff, a little baby boy with Down syndrome, who she was raising funds for in hopes of him finding a home. The organization he was through was...Reece's Rainbow! It was heaven-sent! I was so happy to have found an outlet for my desire to do something. Here was a wonderful, non-profit group solely dedicated to the very cause that had grabbed me some four years before. So, I donated to Cliff, shared his button on my blog, and from that day forth, have kept my eye on the kids there and what happens to them. Cliff had a happy ending - he's been adopted and home for some time now! There are many kids that have happy endings as well, but still even more that wait and wait for a family.
Not all orphans have the exact experience as the child in the picture above - some are in decent orphanages. Perhaps Lawrence was in a good one, but having been so far not adopted, was transferred to the institution where he is now. Some are in better scenarios, some worse. Little Katie, a 9-year- old girl with Down syndrome weighed about 10 pounds when finally adopted. Yes, you read that right. TEN pounds at NINE years old. She is getting medical care now (for the first time in her life) and has a loving family that realizes how very precious she is. This doesn't happen to all children, but even one is too many.
I'm not writing this as a plea for more donations (though, hey, that would be awesome!). I write this so you'll understand why I keep talking about these kids. Why, now that I know they exist, I can't turn a blind eye and go on like nothing happened. I'm hoping that others will give me a little leeway to talk about these children and know that it's not just the "cause of the month" - it's something that affected me and stays with me.
It's changed my outlook on the world and what true need really is. How very little is important, but what is important is loving your family, being grateful for a roof over your head and all those little nice luxuries we get to have, and blessing others when you can. Suddenly the silly problems I think I have everyday pale in comparison. It's hard to complain about life when I look into the face of these children.
Perhaps Lawrence is at a good institution. Maybe his institution is one of the better ones. Maybe, but I doubt it. Even if it was the best (adult mental) institution on the planet, it is still a poor replacement for a loving family and normal life. So I still hope and pray that somewhere out there a family is looking and will choose him. Give him that life he deserves.
The good news? So far we've raised over $270 towards his total (now up to $4000) - so when that family comes like I hope they will, they will have just that little bit less that they have to raise. The process will be that much quicker because some of the money is already in place.
So, THANK YOU. Thank you for any little bit of help you have provided now or in the past. Thank you for reading and allowing me to emote like this :) If Lawrence only knew what was being done for him by people he doesn't even know - I'm sure
it would make his heart happy.










i love that you are involved in this katie....now that i'm a mother...i feel iv grown a new heart...its hard to see so many kids not getting the love they deserve. keep up the good work....you are making a difference!
ReplyDeletekaty!! sorry i spelled that wrong!
ReplyDeleteYou put that well, Sandi - it does feel like you grow a new heart! And my name - no problem, doesn't bother me!:)
ReplyDeleteKaty, you are such an angel! Not only to those who know you, but these families and little children all over the world.
ReplyDeletefriend you have me crying like a baby! I love that your passionate about this.. it's your sweet, caring and passionate spirit that made me want to be your friend! You are so lucky to have Grant and Grant is so lucky to have you... and now all the children of Reese's rainbow that you now are fighting for are lucky to have you as well!
ReplyDelete