5.26.2011

what's supposed to happen when you turn:


As we get ready to move to Ohio in August (wait...have I even mentioned that all here-even before the long winters blogging break?), we are faced with two big changes: living in an entirely new area that we are completely unfamiliar with and Grant starting Kindergarten.  That's because he's five. I know, I can't believe it either.

Even though my brain is still wrapping itself around that fact, I'm busy trying to get in touch with school districts, doing Internet research, and asking friends on Facebook who live in that area to weigh in on good schools, good places to live, etc.  

Grant was so fortunate to be born to our family - not only because we love this boy and practically let him run the show around here, but because of the wonderful services available to him - great health care, schooling, and attitudes (at least recently) towards those with special needs. It's getting better.  Grant is going to have a good life.

But for many other 5 year olds with Down syndrome (and other special needs) around the world, life isn't so great.  Many families - out of simple ignorance, uncaring, or a lack of resources in their country - choose to give up their special needs child.  Newborns through age five are usually in baby orphanages.  The good ones have toys, lots of caretakers, even some therapy services. The good ones. Not all are good. 

Just after Grant was born I tried to fathom what life was like for these little children - tried to imagine my own precious Grant not receiving the love and services he needs and it broke my heart. Every child deserves a loving home.  Every child deserves the chance at happiness. Since then, I've always wondered what I could do to help. Surely there was something I could do other than sit around and bemoan the state of these precious children.  Then I heard of Reece's Rainbow!

The people at Reece's Rainbow work tirelessly to find homes for these special, wonderful children.  In the last five years of their operations, they've placed over 500 children.  500 less children in orphanages, 500 children now with loving moms and dads of their own.  And toys!




Now, no matter how great a baby orphanage is, it can't keep the children forever. When children turn 5 and for whatever reason haven't been found by their family yet, they are sent to adult mental institutions.  At at time when they should be getting ready for kindergarten, playing outside, and enjoying the innocence of childhood, these children are facing a bleak life with very, very limited resources, help, attention, and care. 

I can scarcely, hardly imagine my little Grant in a place where he receives little or no attention, love, or even something to occupy his time.  My heart hurts at the thought of Grant being shoved to the corner and forgotten - just because he was born with an extra chromosome.  Just because no one thought his life was worth loving.  It's a very lonely, sad existence for these children that have so much to offer the world if someone would just take them away from these places that don't seem to understand or are so poorly funded that they choose not to care.



That is where you and I come in.  If we can adopt these children, that's wonderful. That's the best gift of all - sharing our extremely blessed lives with children who you can only imagine would be blown away by the enormity of our abundance.  But if adoption isn't possible, we can help those who do desire to adopt.  We can give to those who are working towards adoption, but are still lacking in the funds.  We can support this organization (or others like it) and spread the word about these children. Help them find their families.

Reece's Rainbow is a non-profit organization - money can be donated directly towards children of your choosing and when their lucky families choose to commit to them, that family receives the funds to help pay for these (often quite expensive) adoptions and travel fees.

From now until July, Reece's Rainbow is holding their 5/5/5 Warrior Project - in their fifth year running, they hope to raise $5,000 for each 5 year old that is facing placement in adult mental institutions if they aren't rescued by their forever family.


As a 5/5/5 Warrior, I've chosen to sponsor little 5-year-old Preston.  That sweet, kind face.
 



 He has a heart condition, but according to the summary seems to be doing well and is active.  He needs his tonsils removed - that's a surgery we just did with Grant last year and it went great - a simple operation that is easy to come by here, but may not always happen where he is now.  I can just see a wonderful mind behind those eyes. A mind that I hope and pray is not wasted sitting in an institution with no one to do puzzles with him, play basketball with, or read him story -  those little things we do with our own children that we take for granted.

Please consider donating. No amount is too small (and feel free to donate more than once!). You can do so by clicking on the link above that takes you directly to his page OR at the blog button in the top right of my blog.  You can even search other children on the site if you feel the need to spread the love.

I also plan to hold some fundraisers here on the blog - chances to win some great handmade items that benefits our Preston.  I will let you know when that comes up.  Thank you for reading about this cause that is very close to my heart - and just as important as physical helping, please keep these little children in your hearts and prayers as they patiently wait for families of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment