5.14.2009

cravings

This whole idea of actually craving something during pregnancy is fairly new to me. Being sick with Grant was so long and so stinkin' traumatic that just liking food again was a feat with him - never mind having any cravings (and as seen in pictures of me when Grant neared two years old, my love of food did indeed come back - in full force). So when this time around I find myself really wanting something, it is fun new territory.

First there was the grilled cheese phase. When the medication finally started to work (or my nausea at least went down a notch), I ate grilled cheese sandwiches. Everyday.

Right now, I really love to chew on ice. I never remember ever enjoying ice this much, but I can't get enough of it. I don't always do well to up my water intake, so I'm sure this helps.

The last thing and the weirdest - though I wouldn't call this a craving per se - is that I LOVE the smell of cleaning products. Walking by the cleaning aisle at the store is heaven. I'm wishing I could make a perfume of our Cascade dishwasher detergent. Weird, I know, but not to worry - it's not like I want to ingest these products (a condition known as pica). And technically, I have always loved the clean smell - I just never realized how much until now. I find myself really enjoying washing the dishes and wiping down the counter tops - for my family's sake, I hope this aspect of my current weirdness lasts.

And now, since heaven forbid a post go picture-less, here is a little then-and-now pregnancy style:

Little boy #1
(approx. 30 weeks - 1/06)


Little boy #2
(33 weeks - 5/09)

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm.... mexican food.

    You are looking great Momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol it's not as uncommon as you'd think--you've seen that Gain commercial, haven't you?? The one where the husband goes to the grocery store in the middle of the night to get laundry detergent, and the voiceover is him 'writing' a letter to the makers of gain, telling them that his pregnant wife craved the smell of their detergent...then, just as he gets home from the store and hands the bottle to his UNpregnant wife holding a SIX or so month old baby, the letter asks the makers how long pregnancy cravings usually last...:)

    For me it was the opposite--when pregnant with Syd, I couldn't stand the smell of most soaps and laundry detergent. I still have a mostly unused bottle of Tide that even opening up makes me gag at the memory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They actually make perfumes and scented sprays that are the smell of "clean". Laundry, shower...whatever the smell they make it! Enjoy the cravings, I think they're fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning products.... so weird!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pregnancy photo! Your looking goregous!!!

    I would LOVE to do breakfast, what day this week works for you.. We could meet at the oh so lovely Rex's:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look identical in both the way you're carrying! Congrats that is so exciting. You're a beautiful and wonderful mama, Katie. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful! It's been so long since we have seen you guys. Too long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katy--I am just barely catching up after Anna's birth--you left a note on my blog after she was born. Congrats on your next little one and I can't wait to see the pics! Thanks for you comment--it is always nice to hear from other moms that are on the journey that includes a little one with Down syndrome. Did/does Landon have any lingering health issues?? Anna has AVSD and we are preparing for heart surgery--scary! I'd love to hear your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops! I meant Grant, not Landon, blame it on sleep deprivation!

    ReplyDelete