12.16.2008

A Minimal Christmas

For the first time in a long time, I'm probably not getting out Christmas cards this year. Usually I have them addressed, stamped, and ready to go by December 1st, so the fact that it's the 16th of the month and none of that has happened...well, I'm telling myself it's okay to miss one year. And if you think Christmas cards are the only thing getting the heave-ho this year, behold our tree:
I'd like to say that we just put it up yesterday and today I will be putting on the ornaments and star - of course - but no...it's looked like that for about 2 weeks now. The ornament tote is under all the other totes in the shed and I just haven't convinced Landon to go digging through it all yet. Besides, he stays pretty busy helping with Grant so often and taking care of other things around the house. For the first few days I said, 'You know, it doesn't have to have ornaments, it's cool just with the lights!' Now we are leaving either Sunday or Monday, and won't be spending Christmas morning here, so it just seems pointless. But it was our first year to actually put up a tree, so that counts for something!



What we've lacked in decorative holiday cheer, we've made up for in Santa visits. I think Grant has seen Santa three times now and in Phoenix there may be one more visit. He loves Santa - or maybe he just loves posing for pictures - but either way this boy isn't crying and trying to get away! He sits and looks at Santa, then as soon as I turn on the camera, he turns and smiles. He's never cried when sitting on Santa's lap - even his first visit at 9 months he just sat and stared intently at the bearded man. Our last Santa expressed appreciation for at least one child that didn't cry the whole time and try to get away.


(thanks for taking the pictures, Angie!)

Smiley Boy!

(don't you love the magical Christmas backdrop? Folding chairs & an industrial dolly..just like the North Pole!)
Well, I'm excited for Christmas to come - especially because of the some of the homemade gifts that I made. This was supposed to be Crafty Christmas (despite being sick, I figured this would be the only Crafty Christmas I could have for a long time with a new baby coming!) It hasn't been as Crafty as I hoped (and I'm learning that being crafty doesn't always mean less-expensive to make!) but one gift in particular I will have to post once the recipient has opened it! I did it all by myself and I'm quite proud of it!

Have a happy and Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. At four and a half, Morgan STILL won't go near Santa...even though she loves him in stories and movies....Hey, could you email me your address? I'd like to send a Christmas card! Thanks, Love ya! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you were in SAN PEDRO, California...my aunt must live pretty close to you, she has the same zip code...on S. Walker Ave. Pretty cool!

    My email is rande_richins@hotmail...can I get yours again, too? I know you sent it, but can't find it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I wish the background would have been a bit more festive as well.... haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw your news. CONGRATS on the baby. I am so excited. He or she will be almost exactly a year older than Luke. I agree June babies are the best :)

    ReplyDelete