9.09.2008

Larry

On September 6th, after months and years of declining health, my brother passed away. My family was there that day to see him and my mom was in the room with him when he died. We're driving out Wednesday to attend the funeral on Thursday, of which I'm printing the programs and making a DVD slide show to play at the funeral home. It's still a very weird feeling to know that he's not with us anymore. After all this time of hoping he wouldn't have to suffer in this body for too long and knowing this day would come, I'm sad to see him go, but happy that he's with Grandma now and that his great test of life is over. I had this song on a church CD growing up and it always made me think of Larry. It's called "The Test" and it's been in my head a lot for the past few days and I'm trying to get my hands on the CD again or download it so I can add it to Larry's slide show, but here's a part of the song lyrics I've been able to find:

Tell me friend, I see your trials,
Why doesn't He who worked the miracles send solace to His child?
Tell me friend, if you understand,
Why doesn't He with pow'r to raise the dead just make you whole again?
It would be so easy for Him.
I watch you and in sorrow question why
Then you, my friend, in perfect faith reply:

(Chorus)
Didn't He say He sent us to be tested?

Didn't He say the way would not be sure?
But didn't He say we could live with Him forevermore, well and whole
if we but patiently endure?
After the trial we will be blessed, but this life is the test.

[Janice Kapp Perry, "The Test"]

I'm looking forward to seeing my family and Landon's family while we are out there. Landon will come home after a few days, but Grant and I are staying until the 23rd, because, prior to Larry's passing, I had planned to go to AZ while Landon is in Pennsylvania for most of next week. So we'll be gone quite some time and will sure miss our Landon/Daddy, but it will be nice to spend time in AZ and see some family & friends.

15 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your brother, but I admire your perspective!

    May the Lord bless and comfort your family at this time.

    Hugs,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friend, I love you! I'm so glad your going out there to be with your family. I'll miss you while your gone. My heart is with you and your whole family has been in our prayers. Drive safe and let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your brother but you are right, he is in a much better place now and in no more pain. We (sort of) hope Ethan holds out for your return! I can't wait for him to meet his mommy's good friend Katy and his buddy, Grant... oh and Landon too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but your blog post is so inspiring and puts a lot into perspective. I love the song lyrics.

    Much love and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy, I'm so sorry about your brother and we'll be praying for you and your dear family. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for all your sweet comments - you are all so kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy - sorry to hear about Larry's death. Just talked with your dad and he will try to go to the funeral.

    Larry has grown so much from the last time I saw him in person.

    Give my best to your mom, Shelsi, Sammy, and Sundae -- hugs to you all.

    Please send a copy of his funeral program please, I would like to see that (for genealogy also).

    Love to you all, Aunt Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy - So sorry to hear, have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I am sorry to hear about the loss fo your brother. I wasn't expecting to hear this news when I opened up your blog this morning. I am fighting back tears right now. Take care of yourself.

    Miss our walks...
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry to hear about your brother, but what a great spirit he is..
    I worked for many years with specail needs students and have a great and deep love for such neat and beautiful people...
    I have another song I want you to hear and am working on finding the lyrics so you can hear it...it's such a neat song...
    What an inspiring person he was and is, and you are too with such great love you have for your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found that song I wanted you to hear.

    Go onto my blog-to play list, and find the song "GO REST HIGHT ON THAT MOUNTAIN" listen to the words carefully.
    It's such a neat song...

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pray that peace and comfort will be with you and your family at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Katy,
    I am so sorry about Larry! But it is so comforting to know he is in a better place and can finally be free of his earthly body! I am sure he is so happy. Take care of yourself and know that you are loved!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry for you loss - but happy that you all know Gods plan and his life can be rejoiced instead of questions on "why" Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete