8.13.2008

Boston Day Four

Tonight after Landon got home from work we meant to drive to Salem, but incredibly jammed traffic changed those plans since the museum we were going to closed in almost an hour. The Red Sox are playing three home games (I think) and traffic into Boston was insane. So, we made our way to Cambridge and Harvard University. Another very cool little town with tons of old-style residences and the campus was incredible - old brick buildings with the requisite ivy on them and we stopped to pose for a picture with the John Harvard statue. It's called the Statue of Three Lies because:
1) that is not what John Harvard looked like (no one knows-was posed by someone else)
2) He wasn't the founder of Harvard (as it says on the statue)-it was just named after him, and 3) the university was not founded in 1838, as the inscription reads - it was actually in 1836.

You are now a tiny bit smarter for having read that. Your welcome.
We're used to BYU campus where everything is located very close together up on a hill, so we did a lot of walking to get from one place to another since much of this campus is spread out. But it was great to walk around the campus and the busy, fun streets around it with cafes, shops, and eager young college students protesting all sorts of things. Almost every time I visit somewhere I declare that I'd like to live there-perhaps I'm a nomad at heart, so it's a good thing the Air Force moves us fairly often so I can see different places and eventually find a place to set down some roots. So far, I'm likin' Boston.

Grant's new Harvard shirt!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making me a little smarter, now I know something Mike doesn't. Can't wait for the pics.

    ReplyDelete