7.01.2008

Grant's School Day

(I don't know what it is with me and really looong posts lately, but I'll find a way to get it under control soon!)

Since he turned 2, Grant's been going to a school called E.C.F. (Exceptional Children's Foundation) three times a week. I typically drop him off at 9:00 and return at 12:00, though once a week or so I stay and do the school-day activities with him. Once while Joy was here I remembered to bring my camera - I literally took hundreds of pictures that day and this is only a small sampling of pictures that document his full experience there (so go ahead and say 'phew')

*9:00-9:40 Free Play/Art Time
While all the other kids arrive (usually around 5-7 kids on a typical day), they can do an art project designed around the theme of that day or play with various toys around the room.





*9:40-10:00 Snack Time
His classroom has these perfectly-sized table and chairs where the kids enjoy a snack provided by the school. They try to expose them to different tastes and textures, but...yeah, Grant usually just likes crunchy stuff. He loves Snapea Crisps and lucky for him that was the snack this particular day.

*10:00-10:30 Circle Time
Grant LOVES circle time! Here they sing songs, clap their hands, play instruments, and Grant loves every minute of it. It's very entertaining to watch him clap along with the songs or do the other movements. His face lights up when he hears those familiar songs, and we sing them all the time at home. This little boy loves music and has really been picking up all the hand movements so well.


Mommy & Grant "Itsy Bitsy Spider"
how Grant walks while holding someone's hands

*10:30-11:00 Outside Time


The kids load in wagons and are taken outside to play. Grant enjoys the rocking horse, riding in the push car, and the sandbox, but we are trying to get him to climb and go down the slide. It's a nice shady playground and one of the reasons I chose this school over another therapy-based school in the area.



it takes a little more convincing to get him down the slide

*11:00-11:40 Therapy Time
with P.T. Megan-he sits and stands on this swing hung from ceiling to help his balance and core strength

The last slot of time before lunch is for physical therapy. Grant uses a variety of equipment -from a large padded swing to a big exercise ball - to increase his strength. They also do a variety of things to help him learn to walk. He gets around well now, mostly by scooting, but he can pull to stand and cruise along furniture very well. He can also walk with someone for a little while if you hold both his hands and walk with him (as Grandma did in the picture) but standing alone and walking is the next big skill. They also have a little ball pit that Grant enjoys!

working with the speech therapist - he's so good at pointing to the pictures

something she does to help him with his mouth movement when 'talking'

they had used this tongue depresser for something-he was trying to put it back in the package. I love this look of concentration!

*11:40-12:00 Lunch!


After working hard in therapy, they end the day with lunch. I pack him a little something and the all kids eat together (it's also a time for the occupational therapist to monitor their feeding skills and fine motor skills). Grant usually has graham crackers and Nutrigrain bars in his lunch - they are his favorites!

So that's Grant's day at school! He is doing so well there and I can see so much growth and improvement already. We are so proud of our little guy!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Grant! How wonderful for him, and those pictures of him at school are so sweet. I am so jealous you went to Disneyland, I can't wait to take my boys there.

    Grandma makes some of the neatest things.

    Are you guys coming out the Utah anytime in the near future? If you do it would be great to see ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like he really enjoys himself at his school! It is such a sweet thing to watch children grow and learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Katy- I love these pictures of Grant!!! It is absolutely adorable how much he is concentrating on his little jobs. And I love the ones of him at circle time.

    He is just way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant is just so darn tooten' CUTE! Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures. Its so great to watch kids learn and grow. He is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go to Grant's school!! No wonder he likes school!!

    ReplyDelete