1.19.2011

one word for 2011

It's been 2011 for.... how long? Just a few weeks.  As long as I post within the month, I still get credit, right? 


I've heard of the One Little Word project that Ali Edwards has done - it's an online workshop with a series of mini-projects to focus you throughout the year on the word you've chosen for that year.  People choose their word based on something significant they want to remember - something they perhaps want to improve about themselves.  For me those words could include exercise or sleep or sugarless (a way to say "eat less sugar already" in one word style).

Whether or not I formally join this online class, I've chosen a word that's perfect for me:


I always tend to put my hands in too many things. Too many hobbies, too many volunteering for projects, too much emphasis on things that are good - but not always the best use of my time.  And let's not get started on the chronic time wasters I involve myself in - usually computer related! I hope this year to work on prioritizing better those things that get due priority: 

*taking care of myself - physically, mentally, and spiritually
*taking better care of my boys & making time spent purely with them happen more often apart from the day-to-day regular stuff
*making my home more organized, clean, and efficient


I tend to put the fun things ahead of these more important goals. I don't want to necessarily eliminate those hobbies and fun tasks, but put them in line behind the things that are more important in the long term. 

One thing I'm doing is having a weekly goal (or two). Instead of thinking of the numerous things I need to improve in at any given time, I'm focusing on just 1 or 2 things for that week.  Hopefully over the course of many weeks, those efforts will become habits.

So that's my goal.  Welcome 2011 and let's hope Katy improves herself to some degree!

3 comments:

  1. Figuring out how to prioritize is definitely on my list of things to do for 2011 as well! It'll be exciting to follow you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT word, Katy. I encourage you to do that 30 day challenge I've posted about a few times on facebook. It's the Chalene Johnson 30 day challenge... and it focuses on how you can get your priorities and goals in order. I've always had problems prioritizing my time and setting goals that are obtainable. I've been doing the challenge since Jan 1 and it's been fantastic- 10 minutes a day for 30 days.

    ReplyDelete