Second reason: McCain's choice for Vice President. As many have already heard, he has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate. Back when the media was just speculating on this choice I was a little bummed. I thought Romney would have been a great choice because of his leadership abilities, work in the private sector, and understanding of business/economics. But yesterday morning when the choice of Palin was confirmed and as I learned a little more about her, I was quite happy! (My friend Angie got to hear all about it before our scrapbook crop yesterday morning!)
I think choosing Palin was not only a great political move, but she also represents much of what I stand for. She's a solid conservative and has challenged dirty politics (even amongst fellow Republicans in her home state). She's a mother of five and is pro-life - and that's a HUGE issue for me.And here's another awesome thing that really sold it - - her youngest (just a few months old) has Down Syndrome. When that was mentioned on the news yesterday morning, I ran to Landon and excitedly told him. Why am I excited by that?? I'm always happy to meet other parents that are going through or have gone through what we have and understand the challenges and the joys of these special children. But the possibility of having someone at a very high level in Washington know firsthand the life of a family with a special needs child is HUGE. What an advocate and voice in the White House she can be. They found out before the child was born that he had Down Syndrome and by keeping the child (unlike over 90% of people out there), she really walks the walk in terms of the pro-life movement. I really respect that.
I think I'm so excited because in a small way I feel like I have a voice now in this new VP. Though I've almost always voted along my party lines and have been happy when those I voted for won, I've never really felt such vested personal interest. With the first African-American democrat nominee and now the possibility of the first female vice president, this sure is an exciting and historic presidential year!








I agree- it is a very exciting nomination year. Very historical and exciting to be a part of. I was also happy to hear McCain's running choice... being a pro-life democrat I am very happy to hear some of her stances on the issue.
ReplyDeleteMcCain/Palin '08!! ;-)
ReplyDelete