This was the last day of Landon's networking class and fortunately for us it got out early today - we were able to leave even earlier for Salem, MA. After only a 20 minute drive we arrived in this cute, little town, but I must admit: just knowing all the infamous witch hunts happened here gave me the creeps the whole time we where there. Even though I knew it wasn't all 'real', I felt this spookiness all the time - it didn't help either that the sky grew dark, cloudy, and started to rain. We first went to the Salem Witch Museum-which taught me a great deal behind the people and events of the 1692 witch trials, but they could have taken the freaky factor down a notch.


It started to lightly rain while we walked around a few historic homes in the town. Not enough to make you run for cover, but just enough to really annoy you - and we ended up driving to our next Salem destination: The House of Seven Gables. This house is significant for two reasons: 1) it is the home that was the inspiration for Nathaniel Hawthorne's book of the same name and 2) it is
oldest surviving wood-structured home in New England. It was built in
1668 and though many parts of the inside of the home have been changed/renovated, the guides pointed out several specific sections that have been unchanged from that time. I'm amazed by homes that are 100 years old - I couldn't believe I was walking through a home more than 300+ years ago. Way cool (and now I have to read that book)!

(a photo I took from the internet-it was much to dark and rainy for me to get a good picture like this)We drove home in the now pouring rain and stopped by The Cheesecake Factory for lemoncella cake!
No comments:
Post a Comment